Monday, December 03, 2007

Okay, I get it now

I always wondered why so many Americans seem off the deep end about world politics and the environment but I get it now. I saw ABC News on television this weekend. You have to understand that in general I haven't watched network news on television in perhaps about 7 or 8 years.

ABC News did a story about how global warming (of which the United States is the greatest contributor to) will find itself drawn into international wars because of lack of normal rainfall in areas of the world map where warlords will take over.

Also, because of global warming, there will be great loss of life and unrest in places like Bangladesh which reportedly has a population half of the United States neatly packaged in a country the size of Iowa.

You don't have to know a great deal about history to know this exaggerated report is wrong. All you really need is a memory. Back in 1972, former Beatle guitarist George Harrison held a benefit concert for Bangladesh.


Bangladesh was a country just ravished by a Typhoon that made what happened in New Orleans look like what happens in a public restroom when the toilet is clogged from a homeless person that ate too much beef and cheese at the shelter.

What is astounding to me is that in my short lifetime Bangladesh has been overrun by flooding at least twice killing about a half-million people. George Harrison's concert for Bangladesh was going on while ecologists were still promising us another ice age because we used aerosol deodorant. I'm not joking.

Bangladesh came about in 1947 after being neglected by both India and West Pakistan. Before being given the name of Bangladesh it was always called "Ya know that crappy place down south where it always floods?"

I doubt global warming has much to do with the problems of Bangladesh and I doubt the United States needs to send troops to places in the world that have an occasional drought... like say... Ethiopia where the people have only known global warming their whole existence.

So I get it now. Most of you are misinformed and have weird ideas about global politics because you watch ABC News. I can only wonder what they'll be reporting when I tune-in again in another 8 years.

1 comment:

Esther said...

It's been a few years since I have watched world news on tv also. This was quite informative, and hilarious.

Of course, my memory does not go back to 1972, but I had heard about the ice age thing that was supposed to happen.