The Canadian Revenue Agency wants citizens to make a trendy YouTube video to warn Canadians that their fellow citizens should not have the audacity to engage in freedom.
Sure tax revenue pays for roads, schools, and endless Canadian government programs, but do you know what the underground economy provides?
- The freedom for people to save money.
- The freedom for citizens to pay their own way.
- The freedom for people to decide what they will/won't pay for.
- The freedom to pay for timely medical care in the US.
- The freedom for people to give money where they choose.
The underground economy doesn't hurt Canada's economy, it just hurts the collective power that has concentrated in Ottawa.
I'm encouraged that the underground economy is a big enough problem for the CRA to have to address. Perhaps the spirit of freedom is still burning, if ever so dimly, in our northern neighbor.