Monday, April 17, 2006

My Verdict for Zacarias Moussaoui

Zacarias Moussaoui is on trial for being the 19th hijacker. He has fully admitted his role in the plot and has shown no shame or regret for the 9-11 act of terrorism.

Everyone I know has hoped he gets the death penalty for his involvement, though I do not.

No, this isn't some liberatarian principled position on the role of the state when it comes to handing out capital punishment. I think he should be innocent on the grounds that he is insane.

I think we should say to the rest of the world that anyone who thinks like Zacarias Moussaoui is insane. He should be sitting around in endless group therapy sessions with other crazies discussing his feelings. Everytime he cries out for Jihad they load him up with brain numbing drugs and discuss new therapy options.

If we kill him I suspect the world will see it as a move of revenge. If we keep him alive and in one of our mental hospitals then Moussaoui's worldview is marginalized and will be right up there next to shooting President Reagan to impress Jodie Foster. It puts him in the proper category of a 'nutbag' which is what he is.

Personally when i was little I liked Jodie Foster, but I probably would've just pulled her hair to get her attention. I'm old fashioned that way.

No comments: