Monday, February 05, 2007

V for Vendetta

February is pretty much the last winter month in Western Washington State. March pretends to act like spring but it just continues to rain though it's warmer and there is much more daylight. Because of these short days and the overcast skies I find myself drawn more to television as a pasttime. This is a particularly big deal to me as I tend to watch about one hour of television a month. I even find myself listening to local sports games on the radio.


I rented V for Vendetta starring Natalie Portman and liked the movie even more than I could've imagined. I was told by some local libertarians that it was a great libertarian film, and I have to agree. Think of the movie as a cross between Batman and Spider-Man except it makes you think. Go get it now and thank me later.

Disclaimer: It has violence and harsh language. It is not a movie for kids. Also, Natalie Portman's head gets shaved...that may freak some of you out...it did me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally i didn't get the movie at all. i don't understand why blowing up the captial building in England was supposed to solve anything.

Anonymous said...

V for Vendetta was a warning about totalitarian governments...like the Bush administration. It promoted anarchy and the moral of the story is that power corrupts and government is bad.

It took the story of Guy Fawkes, who tried to bomb Parliament in 1605 and brought it to the near future with a Zorro-like protagonist (V instead of Z).

Naturally, Libertarians jumped all over it.

Q. How many Libertarians does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Three. One to change the bulb and two to investigate the government conspiracy that caused the previous bulb to fail.

The other point the movie made is that most women look much better with lots of hair. Even Natalie Portman is less hot when shaved bald.

Tracy said...

Libertarians don't have to investigate why it failed it government was behind it. We just watch the liberal change it while on some government works program (similar to pumping gas in Oregon)and just complain that it's not government's role to change light bulbs.

Anon, it doesn't surprise me that you didn't get it. The idea of the movie is just that. V was not a person anymore he was an idea. Ideas live on long beyond the person who had them. Parliament was a symbol and people give symbols power.

I don't want to blow up government, I just want it back doing the things that a government can more naturally do well. The government in the movie though deserved to be blown up.

The movie was about revolution. Not war or terrorism but think of the word like something revolving. People 'came around' to thinking on their own. That was the revolution.

It's one thing to see a woman with no hair but to see the act of the buzzcut is alarming. I felt uneasy. Funny how the constant bloody knife scenes didn't bug me but a pile of Natalie's hair did.

Esther said...

I thought it was a good movie too. I saw it in theatres. It's not one I can watch over and over again, but it does make me think.