Monday, February 21, 2005

President's Day

I have President's Day off. How will I celebrate it? I think I'll go outside and enjoy the sunshine since there are so few sunny days here in the soggy pacific northwest. Before I go, I'd like to list for you some of my favorite presidents.

George Washington - If he wasn't so awesome, this list wouldn't exist.

James Madison - The father of the constitution, and one of the contributors to the fantastic Federalist Papers. (for you Kerry voters the Federalist Papers were a series of essays written by John Jay, James Madison and Alexander Hamilton that acted as a running commentary on the original intent of the constitution.) His wife Dolly, made fantastic cupcakes.

Calvin Coolidge - One of the last few presidents that actually thought the federal government was too large and tried to do something about it. (For you red staters that means he didn't start boondoggles like No Child Left Behind and Medicare drug coverage while claiming to care about defecits)

Andrew Jackson - Someone once said, "He's my favorite president because he's what a lap dance costs."

John Quincy Adams - Firm abolitionist when it wasn't as popular. For that he will always have my utmost respect. (oh wait...for you intellectual blue state people I will clarify --abolitionist means he wanted to abolish slavery)

James K. Polk - For having the best "put up or shut up" slogan ever. (Fifty-four forty or fight!)

Jimmy Carter - Just kidding.

Most of our presidents I wouldn't trust to run a corner coffee stand but there were a few that were pretty good.

I'm going outside now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

You forgot to mention that Andrew Jackson was the last president to run the nation with NO national debt. He cut government and everything else to the bone.

And Polk agreed to the 49th parallel as the border with Canada, thus depriving us of Vancouver Island and Vancouver the city - the only things worth having in the Great White North.

Tracy said...

...and Old Hickory was against a national central bank system.

I'm glad Vancouver is in Canada. We can still enjoy it without having to pay for their transit systems...(cuz we're still trying to pay for two at the same time in seattle)