Tuesday, April 21, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes

Our country somehow expects a great deal from our beauty queens. We want them beautiful, elegant, poised, and able to solve the world's problems with a few sentences when pressed for answers.

Miss California recently was asked by Perez Hilton if she thinks that more states should follow Vermont's lead and legalize same-sex marriage.

Her answer is as follows:

Well, I think it’s great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage...and you know what, in my country, in my family I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman.

No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised and that’s how I think it should be - between a man and a woman. Thank you very much.


Later Hilton called Miss California a "dumb bitch" on his blog.

I guess what I'm wondering is: Why ask the question if there is only one right answer?

You don't have to like her answer but she was at least respectful to people who disagree with her and she gave her reason (albeit a weak one) why she can't agree with same-sex marriage.

Who cares what Miss California has to say on the subject anyway? Who cares about Perez Hilton? What I do care about is that we can disagree with each other without name calling.

After all, we're talking about the important position of Miss USA here. If we cannot protect the integrity of this important institution...how can we ever hope to solve the problems of marriage?

3 comments:

Gino said...

the more interesting aspect of this story: why was a gay man allowed to sit and judge the standard of feminine charm and beauty?

if she lost because perez didnt find her woman enough to win, then by default, she should get the crown,no?

lynda said...

I personally believe that U.S. Americans should be unable to do so because, uh, some, people out there in our nation don't have mates and, uh, I believe that our, uh, sex education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to create children for our future, for our children.

robert the grump said...

There is only one right answer to this question. And that answer is; who cares what a gossip blogger and beauty pageant contestant think?